Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Giving is Receiving

There's a philosophy that states that in any relationship, it is only by giving that we are able to receive.

This sounds backwards at first glance.

How can a business person succeed by giving away the same things they sell?

Example:

This morning I chased a lead that led me to a guy who needs at least a dozen people to work as home health aides. They make in home visits to the elderly and indigent--feeding bathing, encouraging--whatever it takes for just over $7 an hour.

You have to be physically strong, caring, compassionate, and not interested in making a lot of money to qualify for that job. There aren't many people like that in the world, much less in our applicant pool. Since I couldn't really sell this organization my services, I volunteered them. I told him if I come across anyone who'd make a good match, I'll forward the resume his way, and I will, even though it makes no money for me or First Source.

Don't get me wrong. If I know of a job opportunity and a person who's a viable match, the first thing I think about is how I can get paid from the situation. But if I can't, I often email the job seeker the lead and wish him or her the best. It doesn't cost me anything and finding someone a good job is one of the nicest things you can do. In terms of karma, it surely means good things to come for me.

In terms of business, it means two more people speaking positively about my brand. And all marketers agree that word of mouth is most powerful.

No comments: