Thursday, January 3, 2008

Workplace Decency a Win-Win

Why, on Christmas Eve, did I wake up, leave my wife and son, and get to work 15 min early? Yes, I'm excited about the staffing industry and no, I'm not avoiding my family. Paradoxically, the main reason I'm here is because I don't have to be.

This company has a pretty great time off policy--officially, there is no limit to the amount of sick and personal days salaried employees can take. This sort of generosity does two things. First, it frees me up to make those trips to the dentist, post office, sitter, bank, and other stops that can be unnecessarily difficult for the workaday crowd. And second, it makes me more loyal to the company. My attendance would probably be about the same no matter what the time off policy was, but since it is so liberal, I never resent having to be here.

A flexible work schedule is an example of a "decency" handed down from the employer. In Steve Harrison's book, "The Manager's Book of Decencies," he defines these acts as "gestures freely offered without expectation of a reward that, in ways small and large, change the corporate culture for the better." Decencies flow from the top down, rarely cost any money, and go a long way to boost morale and productivity. For example, seeing the big boss answer the phone equates accessibility to those who are calling. In addition, the employees will probably move to answer it faster next time. Other tips include using subordinates' names as much as possible, thanking them for anything done right, and not talking for too long without letting others get a word in. Many bosses think they do these things, but unless they are mindfully doing it every day or week, they can almost certainly afford to be more decent.

No comments: